Click the images above to Purchase gear
8.75 grams of coffee per 5 oz H20 (for Chemex, a “cup” is 5 oz).
1. Grind coffee medium-fine-drip (8.75 grams coffee per Chemex “cup” size--see ingredients above).
2. Place filter into device.
3. Pour 1/4-cup hot water into device/filter to preheat/rinse device/filter.
4. Place ground coffee into rinsed/preheated filter/device.
5. Pour, slowly, 200-degree water into coffee--just enough to saturate coffee.
6. Wait 30 seconds (witness bloom).
7. Pour remaining hot water per recipe requirement (see ratio above).
8. Brewing time-range between 2.5 (“2-cup”) and 5 minutes (“6-cup”).
A circular pouring motion creates desirable turbulence during extraction. Keeping the filter half-full of hot water while extracting maintains proper flow for optimal extraction.
Adjust grind to achieve appropriate brew-times (see above).
Ingredients and Instructions for brewing our coffee with a Chemex Device, Compliments of Acoustic Java & David Fullerton, an Authorized SCA Trainer.
BIALETTI POT RECIPE
5 grams of coffee per 2 oz H20 (for Bialetti Pot, a “cup” is 2 oz).
1. Grind coffee fine (5 grams coffee per a Bialetti pot “cup” size—see ingredients above).
2. Fill Bialetti bottom-basin with water up to the line inside, so that the water remains below the pressure valve.
3. Insert the filter cup into the base and fill with appropriate amount of coffee (see ratio above).
4. Fasten the top of the pot snugly onto the bottom of the water-filled base which holds the coffee-filled filter cup.
5. Place the pot onto the burner, turn on the burner, and set a timer (2.5 to 5 minutes depending on pot “cup” size).
6. Turn off the burner when the brewing cycle is completed, which can be determined by sight (full) and/or sound (sputtering).
6. Verify the pot’s handle is not too hot to touch and pour into vessel of choice.
7. Before drinking, let beverage cool to suitable, safe drinking temperature.
Never fill bottom of basin above pressure valve. Always use a timer. Remember that the beverage is hot off-the-stove, so use caution.
Ingredients and Instructions for brewing our coffee with a Bialetti Pot, Compliments of Acoustic Java & David Fullerton, an Authorized SCA Trainer.
FRENCH PRESS RECIPE
7 grams of coffee per 4 oz H20 (for French Press, a “cup” is 4 oz).
1. Grind coffee coarse (7 grams coffee per French Press “cup” size--see ingredients above).
2. Pour ¼-cup hot water into press beaker to pre-heat, and then discard.
3. Place ground coffee into the press beaker.
4. Pour 200-degree water into beaker.
5. Stir, place lid/plunger on top but don’t plunge, and wait 4-6 minutes depending on “cup” size (see ingredients for brewing formula/ratio).
6. Decant into drinking vessel and serve.
Preheating the beaker ensures neutralizes the potentially negative impact of a cool room temperature on the brewing vessel.
Stirring the pot allows for total saturation of the coffee to achieve optimal extraction. Adjust brewing time based on cup size
(see ingredients for brewing ratio).
Ingredients and Instructions for brewing our coffee with a French Press, Compliments of Acoustic Java & David Fullerton, an Authorized SCA Trainer.